Jamaica Plain Arts Links
PO Box 300112, Jamaica Plain, MA 02130-0030
Tele: 617-522-3407 TTY/MA RELAY 800-439-2370
Like our page on FaceBook for updated notices on events and policy issues at
Jamaica Plain Arts Murals
JP and Roslindale have an array of murals which can catch both casual visitor and longtime veteran resident by surprise. From Egleston Square to Hyde Square to the Monument to Forest Hills there are murals in parks, on store doors and walls and factory buildings facades. These photographic images do not do the murals justice -- I urge you to spend a day or two and locate these and the multitude of other murals and see them full scale and in their urban environmental context. Also a great excuse to sample Jamaica Plains famous restaurants with foods from around the world.
Many of these murals were done through the Boston Office of Cultural Affairs "Mural Crew." The Director is Heidi Schork, who recruits artists and 10-12 high school students each summer, since 1991, to paint the town. Contact Heidi Schork, Director, Mural Crew at Back Bay Yard, 440 Park Drive, Boston, MA. 02215, Telephone: (781) 234-5967 email: email@example.com for additional information.
- Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/Mayors-Mural-Crew-City-of-Boston-187054811318179/
- Web site-- http://www.bostonyouthzone.com/teenzone/employment/MuralCrew/
- Boston Globe story ‘Mural Crew’ celebrates 25th anniversary, by Steve Annear, August 18, 2016 : https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2016/08/18/mural-crew-celebrates-anniversary/GkhsRqN2I7J6W5HlbojiZJ/story.html
Web page with list of mural with links to photographs -- http://www.bostonyouthzone.com/teenzone/employment/MuralCrew/pm_title.asp?mural=yr
Roberto Chao, 87 Brookside Ave. #E, Jamaica Plain, MA 02130 617.524.3002 firstname.lastname@example.org http://www.geocities.com/soho/veranda/5646/ is an artist who has worked with neighborhood teens to create murals in Jamaica Plain including the mural at the Egleston Square Peace Garden http://www.esacboston.org/peacegarden.html.
Alex Cook, story on his murals at https://jpndc.org/jp-and-alex-cook/ Contact at http://www.youarelovedmurals.com
Robin Dunitz documented murals throughout New England including many in Boston. She has a 24 post card booklet available. Contact her at email@example.com
1. Petal and Leaf, 467 Centre St., Jamaica Plain, MA 02130 617-524-2227
2. Bella Luna, Milky Way Lounge & Lane, 403-405 Centre Street, Jamaica Plain, MA 02130 617-524-3740
3. Gods of the Taino peoples by Rafael Rivera Garcia 1984. Mother goddess holding two sons apart
right god: night-wind-destrution from left god: protector of earth from hurricanes.
Restored by City of Boston Mural Crew in 2003.
Junction of Perkins and Centre Streets
4. On side of 663 Centre Street Building
5. On rear wall of Costello's Tavern, 723 Centre St., Jamaica Plain, MA 02130 617-522-9263
The first mural was replaced by a sports mural sponsored by a beer company
6. Parking lot off of Burroughs Street behind Bukhara, 701 Centre St., Jamaica Plain, MA 02130 617-522-2195
Mural of Annual Lantern Parade
7. On the south facing wall of the public housing buildings on South Street
8. Junction of Hall and Centre Streets
9. Corner of Eliot and Centre Streets
10 Junction of Burroughs and Centre Street
11, Centre Street in Hyde Square Area
12. Traditional Mexican mural atTacos El Charro, 349 Centre Street
13 New mural for Mozart Park on Centre Street being developed during the summer of 2008
14. Murals by Roberto Chao on support beams at Jackson Square MBTA Station (Orange Line) on Centre Street
15. Mural by Boston Mural Crew in the Egleston Square area on Washington and School Street
16. Peace Garden Mural project in Egleston Square on Washington Street
Click on images for larger versions. Photographs by Stephen Baird
IMPORTANT: Please consider sendng in a $10 donation for this information. It takes time and money ($500 year) to keeep it posted and updated. Make checks payable to COMMUNITY ARTS ADVOCATES in US Dollars International Postal Money Orders and send to:Community Arts Advocates, P.O. Box 300112, Jamaica Plain, MA 02130-0030 USA. See the Donation form on this web site HERE or donations can also be made by credit card through Community Arts Advocates at the on line secure site of the Wainwright Bank's CommunityRoom.net. Visit Community Arts Advocates web site pages for programs, services and multicultural artists below.
Community Arts Advocates
Community Arts Advocates, Inc. is a tax-exempt, nonprofit organization. Federal TIN 71-0877553
Copyright © 1999-2017 by Stephen Baird